CUIMC Student Travel and COVID-19 Testing Protocol
Updated: January 12, 2021
Scope: This protocol applies to all CUIMC students
Protocol: The Columbia University Travel policy states that all University sponsored travel for students is currently suspended. Students are urged to postpone all personal domestic travel but are approved for personal or family emergencies.
There are several considerations for students who are planning travel during this time. The following New York State (NYS) travel advisory applies to all people returning to New York State from a noncontiguous state or US territory, or CDC Level 2 and higher Health Notice country.
Clinical Students - Essential Worker Exemption (updated January 7, 2021)
Students in the clinical portion of their education (patient care, clinical skills training, clinical simulation training), are eligible to be tested under the Governor’s exemption for health care workers to allow continuation of clinical work at the discretion of their school or program. Please review the January 7, 2020 NYSDOH Updated Health Advisory: Revised Protocols for Personnel in Healthcare and Other Direct Care Settings to Return to Work Following COVID-19 Exposure.
- Those returning to New York must be tested within 24 hours of return to NYS and quarantine until they receive a result.
- Students can return to clinical work after their first confirmed negative COVID-19 test, but must retested on Day 4.
- All travelers are required to complete the traveler form upon entry.
- Students with an initial negative result can return to their clinical placement but should continue to observe the following guidelines for 14 days following their return:
- Avoid extended periods in public, contact with strangers, and large congregate settings
- Clean and disinfect workspaces
- Maintain social distancing
- Wear a face covering when in public
- Monitor temperature and for signs and symptoms
- Maintain self-quarantine when not at work
Students who are NOT currently enrolled in a clinical experience as described above, are not eligible for the health care worker exemption and will be required to adhere to the Updated New York State Travel Guidance highlighted below: