Patient Rights and Responsibilities
You have a right to:
- Understand and use these rights. If for any reason you do not understand or you need help, Student Health on Haven will provide assistance, including an interpreter.
- Receive treatment without discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, immigration status, disability, sexual identity, gender identity, relationship status, caste, or age.
- Receive considerate and respectful care in a clean and safe environment.
- Be informed of the name, pronouns, and position of the health care provider(s) participating in your care and refuse their treatment, examination, or observation.
- Request a change of providers within Student Health on Haven to meet your needs.
- Receive care in a non-smoking environment.
- Receive complete information and participate in decisions regarding your diagnosis, treatment and prognosis.
- Receive all the information you need to give informed consent for any proposed procedure or treatment, including the possible risks and benefits of the procedure or treatment and any alternatives.
- Appoint a health care proxy to make medical decisions for you should you lose that capability or submit an advance directive to be left on file as allowed by New York State Law.
- Refuse treatment, examination, or observation and be informed of the effect this may have on your health.
- Allow or refuse to allow persons not directly involved in your care to observe in the exam room during your visit.
- Refuse to participate in research. In deciding whether or not to participate, you have the right to a full explanation.
- Expect that your protected health information (PHI) will be kept confidential as per New York State, FERPA and HIPAA regulations. PHI will be released to a third-party only with your written consent or if required by law.
- Obtain a copy of your medical records or review your medical records with a Student Health on Haven designee.
- Receive an itemized bill and an explanation of all charges.
You have a responsibility to:
- Provide accurate and complete information about your past medical history, allergies, medications and current health status to allow for proper evaluation and treatment.Ask questions so that you understand your diagnosis, prognosis and treatment.
- Notify Student Health on Haven in advance if special accommodation is requested for evaluation or treatment.
- Use prescription medications or medical devices only for yourself and not share with others.
- Actively participate with your provider in creating and fulfilling a treatment plan.
- Contact your health care provider if your condition worsens or does not follow the expected course.
- Be considerate and respectful of other patients, Student Health on Haven staff and Student Health on Haven facilities.
- Accept outcomes if you refuse treatment or you choose not to follow a treatment plan.
- Keep all appointments or, if you are unable to do so, notify Student Health on Haven so that the timeslot can be used for another student.
- Provide a responsible adult, over the age of 18, to escort you home and remain with you for 24 hours, if indicated as part of a treatment plan.
- Ensure eligibility status prior to utilizing services.
- Promptly fulfill financial obligations and pay charges billed to you for services rendered.
- Inform Student Health on Haven staff about any advance directive that could affect your care.