Waiving the Columbia University Student Health Insurance
All full-time domestic students and all international students are enrolled by default in the Columbia University Student Health Insurance Plan, also referred to as The Columbia Plan.
You must have comparable insurance in order to waive the Columbia University Student Health Insurance. Student Health is unable to review any insurance policies. If you would like to compare your coverage you may review the Compare Your Coverage tool.
- The plan must meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act, including coverage for routine, urgent, and emergent care for all of the act’s Essential Health Benefits in New York State. For a description of the act’s Essential Health Benefits, review Compare Your Coverage.
- The plan must be licensed to do business in the United States.
- The plan must be effective and remain in force for the duration of the schedule noted below.
** CUIMC Clinical students must also ensure any plans submitted for waiver requests provide coverage for occupational exposures, as Student Health on Haven does not offer any reimbursement of these costs. Students with approved waivers assume full responsibility for medical costs not covered by their health insurance plan.
Exception Criteria for International Students
International Students in the US
On a case-by-case basis, international students may be considered for an exception to the insurance requirement when covered by a US-based group health insurance plan (for example, a US-based, employer-sponsored, ACA-Compliant group plan) that also meets the waiver criteria above.
Submitting a Waiver or Exception Request
1. Log-in to your Student Health on Haven Portal
2. Click on “Insurance Waivers” on the left sidebar
3. Read the waiver criteria and select the checkboxes to affirm you have understood the conditions for waiving. Click Proceed.
4. Enter the requested subscriber and insurance information. Also, upload your insurance card. Click Proceed.
5. Review the information you have entered. If all the information is correct, click Submit.
Once a Waiver is Submitted
1. Once your waiver is submitted, you will be redirected to the page with the information you have already submitted, confirming you have successfully submitted a waiver request.
2. On the insurance waiver landing page, you will see your status change from “Not waived” to “Pending”
3. Review & Processing can take up to 7-14 business days.
- Fall Admits: August 15, 2022 to August 14, 2023
- Spring Admits: January 1, 2023 to August 14, 2023
- Summer Admits: May 15, 2023 to August 14, 2023
August 15, 2022 to August 14, 2023
August 15, 2022, to the last day of the month in the last academic term in which the student is registered.
*Qualifying life change events, such as aging out of a parent’s plan, are the exclusion to the above-listed schedule.
Waiving the Student Health and Related Services Fee (HRSF) for Employees
Employees of Columbia University who receive university benefits may waive by completing the Student Health and Related Services Fee Waiver Form.
- Student Health and Related Services Fee (HRSF) waivers are completed manually during the open enrollment period detailed above.
- Fees are removed and within 24-48 hours a credit is posted to your SSOL account.