Support after Tragic Violence in Memphis
With continued racist violence portrayed against the Black community, most recently with the senseless death of Tyre Nichols, we are experiencing and reexperiencing grief, fear, anger, and sadness. Repeatedly witnessing these ongoing public acts of violence in our communities can be profoundly traumatic and deepen existing wounds.
You might experience hopelessness, despair, inadequacy, anger, apathy, or other emotional responses. During this time, we encourage you to be gentle with yourself and kind to one another and to seek support and care as needed.
Student Health on Haven is offering several options for students to reflect, connect, and access support:
- Counseling Services is offering a group support session from 4-5 p.m. tomorrow, January 31, 2023, in the Multipurpose Room on the 3rd floor of 100 Haven (Tower 2).
- Counseling Services also offers one-off individual support sessions that provide space for reflection, grounding, and discussion. Visit the Student Health portal or call 212-305-3400 to schedule an individual support session.
The following confidential options are always available for individual support:
- Counseling Services Appointments: Make an appointment via the Student Health Portal or by calling 212-305-3400 (for after-hours care, select option 7).
- Well-Being Strategy Sessions: Email email@example.com or use the Student Health Portal to schedule a session with a member of the Well-Being and Health Promotion team.
- Office of Religious Life: Visit the Office of Religious Life website to schedule an appointment with an advisor for counseling or pastoral care.
In addition, students can reach out to Student Health on Haven’s Counseling Services 24/7 by calling 212-305-3400 (for after-hours care, select option 7).
Community care and connection is critical as we navigate these experiences together. We are here for you.