Support Resources for Students Impacted by the Racist Attack in Buffalo
Saturday's horrific mass shooting and hate crime targeting the Black community is deeply disturbing. We understand the grief, anger, exhaustion, and pain of reexperiencing and witnessing continued acts of racial violence in our communities that deepen the wounds of trauma. During this time, we encourage you to be gentle with yourself and kind to one another, and to seek support and care as needed.
Student Health on Haven is offering several options for students to reflect, connect, and access support over the next few days, and to gather information about on-going support options.
- Well-Being & Health Promotion and Counseling Services are offering in-person and Zoom group support sessions on Monday, May 16th.
- The in-person support group will take place on Monday, May 16th 1-2pm in the Multi-Purpose Room on the 3rd floor of Student Health on Haven (100 Haven Ave., Tower 2).
- The Zoom support group will take place on Monday, May 16th 5-6pm. If you would like the Zoom link to attend the session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Counseling Services offers one-off Individual Support Sessions that provide space for reflection, grounding, and discussion. Visit the Student Health portal or call 212-305-3400 to schedule an individual Support Session.
The following confidential options are always available for individual support:
- Counseling Services Appointments: Make an appointment via the Student Health Portal or by calling 212-305-3400 (for after-hours care, select option 7).
- Well-Being Strategy Sessions: Email email@example.com to schedule a session with a member of the Well-Being and Health Promotion team.
- Office of the University Chaplain: Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to speak with someone from the Columbia University Chaplain’s Office for counseling and pastoral care.
In addition, students can reach out to Student Health on Haven’s Counseling Services 24/7 by calling 212-305-3400 (for after-hours care, select option 7).
Community care during these times is critical. We are here for you.