Meditation is a practice of concentrated focus on a sound, object, visualization, the breath, movement, or attention itself in order to increase awareness of the present moment, promote relaxation, and enhance person and spiritual growth.
Research on mindfulness continues to evolve and a look at the state of science from Greater Good at Berkeley shows:
- Meditation almost certainly sharpens your attention.
- Long-term, consistent meditation seems to increase resiliency to stress.
- Meditation appears to increase compassion and make our compassion more effective.
Guided Meditation Schedule
Well-Being and Health Promotion will be offering weekly meditations for CUIMC students in-person and through Zoom. To receive communications about mindfulness meditation throughout the semester, take a moment to join our Mindfulness Meditation mailing list. You may unsubscribe from the mailing list at any time.
- Heights Meditation and Yoga Inc.
- Heights Meditation and Yoga Meet-up Group
- Kadampa Meditation Center
- Milstein Hospital Meditation: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays | 12:30-1:00pm | 5th Floor Chapel
- Psychiatric Institute Meditation: Tuesdays | 12:30-1:00pm | 1st Floor Room 1200 NYSPI
- Soundbath Meditation: Tuesdays | 12:45pm–1:15pm | MSCH/Pauline A. Hartford Memorial Chapel, Presbyterian Hospital First Floor
Learn More About Mindfulness Meditation
The following lists a variety of free online guided meditations to try wherever you are as you continue or start your meditation practice.
- Daily Calm: 10-Minute Mindfulness Meditation
- Headspace: 1-Minute Guided Meditation
- Goodful: 5-Minute Meditation
- Lavendaire: 20-Minute Meditation
- Living Better: 15-Minute Body Scan
- Charisse Christine: 10-Minute Sound Bath Meditation
- Mindful: 3-Minute Meditation Body Scan
- Galen Hooks: 4-Minute Movement Meditation
- Mindful Peace: 6-Minute Midday Recharge
- Artfully, Mindfully: 10-Minute Creative Drawing Meditation
- Mindfulness for Beginners (Jon Kabat-Zinn)
- Meditation for Beginners (Jack Kornfield)
- Zen Mind Beginner’s Mind (Shunryu Suzuki)
- Real Happiness – The Power of Meditation (Sharon Salzberg)
- Zen Meditation in Plain English (John Daishin Buksbazen)